Tuesday, June 25, 2013


Just finished my first two days! Leaving from Phoenix and arriving in Ghana took about 19 hours of flying and 10 hours of layovers. By the time I arrived I was exhausted, hot, my feet were swelling, anxious and nervous at the same time. I feel great now that I am here. We checked into our rooms and were able to choose our own roommate which was fun and were told to meet at 7:45 am sharp to prepare for orientation the following morning. At orientation we went over Ghanaian customs like funerals, festivals, taboos, using the left hang, spirits, religion, family, births, and the 3 main regions of the country just to name a few. We had a doctor come talk to us about staying healthy and given our class schedules, insurance information, and course materials. We also had a chance to go to the mall and buy some groceries since we do not have a meal plan. The rest of the day we made friends with one another as well as the Ghanaian students who volunteered to be our guides for the 6 weeks.

Overall, these past two days have been filled with information and there is a culture shock especially with hygiene. I currently have the sniffles from all the dust but I am excited to see what else is in store.

If you have questions feel free to ask or comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment